William J Porter Community Tree Project Award
In addition to the William J. Porter Arboriculture Scholarship for students and professionals in the industry, the NJ Shade Tree Federation is now offering the opportunity for our NJSTF member communities to apply annually for the William J. Porter Community Tree Project Award. This award is intended to provide up-front funding for a small project to benefit the tree resource in your community. There will be one awardee per year. Application deadline is June 30th.
Download the William J Porter Community Tree Project Award Application and an information sheet.
Details are as follow:
- Up to $2,500.00 per award depending on availability of funds
- Project funds provided upfront upon receipt of the award (this is not a reimbursement grant)
- Project funds can be awarded to a municipality or tree organization working within their municipality (organization must have capability to accept funds — no checks to individuals)
- Awardee must be a current member of the NJ Shade Tree Federation
To apply for the William J. Porter Community Tree Project Award, please send:
- A description of the project, including who will be involved, timeline, expected outcomes, and educational component
- A detailed projected budget
- Reference to any tree related specifications, standards, or best practices that will be followed, or Licensed Tree Expert services that will be contracted
- Statement of community impact
Applications will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Completeness of application
- Inclusion of an educational component
- Community involvement and benefit as envisioned by Bill Porter
In return for this funding, the awardee must agree to the following:
- Complete the project within a year of funding award or make significant progress towards project completion
- Send description and pictures of completed project
- Include either a statement, advertisement, or signage at the project site stating: "Funding for this project provided by the NJ Shade Tree Federation through the William J. Porter Community Tree Project Award"
- Agree to give a short presentation about the project at the following STF Conference and share an article about the project in the NJSTF newsletter
- Be available to attend the NJ Shade Tree Federation Recognition and Awards Dinner in October to accept awards