William J. Porter Arboriculture Scholarship
Each year two scholarships are awarded to encourage studies and careers in Arboriculture and Urban Forestry. One award goes to a Rutgers student and the other to a professional or volunteer in the industry meeting the following criteria:
- A Rutgers Student (up to $2,500) — Application submission deadline is March 31st.
The recipient must be a full-time student enrolled in a program of studies representing a demonstrated interest in Arboriculture or Urban Forestry. The student must be in at least sophomore standing with a minimum GPA of at least 2.5. The ideal candidates would include: those majoring in Ecology and Natural Resources, Plant Biology and Pathology, Environmental Planning and Design, or Landscape Architecture, but others may apply.
- A Professional/Volunteer (up to $2,500) — Application submission deadline is May 31st.
The recipient must be a NJ resident employed/active in Arboriculture or Urban Forestry for at least one year, and must use the funds received as reimbursement for educational expenses. Professional/Volunteer scholarship recipients will be required to provide receipts and a brief written summation of how the educational experience provided by the scholarship will benefit/impact their future work.
Essay of approximately 500 words addressing the following points:
- ✓ Why the applicant became interested in Arboriculture/Urban Forestry
- ✓ What the applicant hopes to contribute to the field
- ✓ How the scholarship will help
- Resume or Professional CV
- Unofficial Transcripts (Students only)
- ✓ Name and contact information (address, phone number, e-mail) for two references, one a teacher/colleague, the other a personal character reference.
- ✓ References will be contacted for the top five candidates in each category.
Awards will be up to $2,500 for student scholarship and up to $2,500 for professional/volunteer scholarship Amount can be adjusted each year depending on available funds. Award Recipients will be notified in September and the award will be presented at the October NJ Shade Tree Federation Awards & Recognition Dinner.
Recipients should be available to attend the NJ Shade Tree Federation Recognition and Awards Dinner in October to accept awards.
Remittance (See submission deadlines as noted above.)
NJ Shade Tree Federation
Blake Hall, Room 121
93 Lipman Drive
New Brunswick, NJ 08901