William J. Porter Arboriculture Scholarship
Each year a scholarship is awarded to encourage studies and careers in Arboriculture and Urban Forestry. The award goes to a Rutgers student meeting the following criteria:
- A Rutgers Student (up to $2,500) — Application submission deadline is June 30th. The recipient must be a full-time student enrolled in a program of studies representing a demonstrated interest in Arboriculture or Urban Forestry. The student must be in at least sophomore standing with a minimum GPA of at least 2.5. The ideal candidates would include: those majoring in Ecology and Natural Resources, Plant Biology and Pathology, Environmental Planning and Design, or Landscape Architecture, but others may apply.
Essay of approximately 500 words addressing the following points:
- ✓ Why the applicant became interested in Arboriculture/Urban Forestry
- ✓ What the applicant hopes to contribute to the field
- ✓ How the scholarship will help
- Unofficial Transcripts
- ✓ Name and contact information (address, phone number, e-mail) for two references, one a teacher/colleague, the other a personal character reference.
- ✓ References will be contacted for the top five candidates.
Awards will be up to $2,500. Amount may be adjusted annually depending on available funds. Award Recipients will be notified in September and the award will be presented at the October NJ Shade Tree Federation Annual Conference.
Remittance (See submission deadlines as noted above.)
NJ Shade Tree Federation
Blake Hall, Room 121
93 Lipman Drive
New Brunswick, NJ 08901