Spotted Lanternfly Quarantine Issued
The NJ Department of Agriculture has issued a quarantine for Mercer, Warren and Hunterdon counties to prevent the spread of the Spotted Lanternfly. Under the quarantine, households and businesses that transport certain outdoor articles must obtain and fill out a checklist before moving any of the listed items. In addition to the checklist, businesses that routinely travel in and out of the quarantined counties have training requirements with which they must comply. Some of the items on the list are:
- cardboard boxes
- building materials (brick, block)
- trees, shrubs, plants
- tractors, trailers
A copy of the full press release, including contact information at the NJ Department of Agriculture for questions, is available at: here.
2018 Green Communities Achievement Award Request for Nominations
The New Jersey Green Communities Achievement Award recognizes those nominees whose outstanding efforts have greatly contributed to the field of urban and community forestry in New Jersey. Exemplary work, whether public or private is eligible for the award program.
The Green Communities Awards recognize up to four (4) recipients per year in the following categories:
- Business/Tree Care Industry
- Non-profit/Non-governmental Organization
The criteria for nomination are:
- Improving the environment in New Jersey's communities through wise management of the trees and forest resources, and the development of a self-sustaining local urban and community forestry program.
- Raising awareness of the value of urban and community trees and forests in New Jersey through education and outreach.
- Enhancing the beauty of New Jersey's cities and towns with programs and projects for trees and forests.
- Providing exceptional effort and meritorious contributions to the field of urban and community forestry in New Jersey.
Please provide a brief nomination narrative providing justification for the nomination based on the categories and criteria described above. Nomination must state the Name, Title, Organization, Address, Email, and Telephone Number of both the nominator and the nominee. Nomination narratives should not exceed two (2) pages in length.
Nominations for the 2018 Green Communities Award are due by 12:00pm, Monday, August 20, 2018.
Nominations must be emailed to Shannon Hart, NJ Urban and Community Forestry Program, Shannon.firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of the email must state 2018 Green Communities Award Nomination. Questions may be directed to Ms. Hart at the email provided or 609.292.6512.
Click here to download a copy of this notice.
The William J. Porter Arboriculture Scholarship
Attention — students, professionals, and volunteers in the industry
To encourage studies and careers in Arboriculture and Urban Forestry, the New Jersey Shade Tree Federation is pleased to announce the offer of a scholarship to two recipients who meet the specified criteria. Download the details here.